Journal of Iwate Society of Nursing Science Submission Guidelines
Journal of Iwate Society of Nursing Science Submission Guidelines
(1) The Journal of Iwate Society of Nursing Science is published by the Society two times a year for the purpose of sharing research results in nursing.
(2)The editorial committee is established by the Society to carry out publishing responsibilities.
(3)The journal is published online and on paper.
(1)Qualifications for Submission
1)The first author listed must be a member of the Society.
2)Authors requested by the Society are exempt from the preceding qualification.
3)Authors residing outside Japan are not required to be members of the Society.
4)Other authors may be qualified by the editorial committee.
Articles published in the Journal must be review articles, original articles, case reports, research reports, brief reports and others, which are unpublished. In the review process, the editorial committee may suggest a change in categories.
- Review Article
A comprehensive evaluation and discussion based on a critical review of literature concerning a specific theme in nursing.
- Original Article
A research article in nursing with originality, including new knowledge and systematically describing research results. It should contain clear significance for knowledge in nursing science. It must be presented systematically consisting of purpose, method, results, discussion and conclusion.
- Case Report
A report of a valuable clinical example of nursing. It will provide beneficial information for nursing practice and nursing science.
- Research Report
A research article in nursing with a significant research conclusion, which will be recognized as contributing to the development of nursing science. The article must consist of purpose, method, results, discussion and conclusion.
- Brief Report
A short research article in nursing containing new knowledge, expected to contribute to the development of nursing science. The article must consist of purpose, method, results, discussion and conclusion.
- Other articles (Issue, Practice Report, Material, etc.)
Articles in nursing science.
Articles should be submitted online
The decision on submitted articles concerning acceptance for publication is carried out by the editorial committee, based on the evaluation of two anonymous reviewers at the request of the committee. If there are differences of opinion between the reviewers, an additional reviewer will be requested. The review is conducted in accordance with the reviewing standards and guidelines.
If the author does not respond to the editorial committee’s comments on modifications for more than three months, the article will automatically be rejected.
The publication sequence of articles and other editorial issues are performed by the editorial committee.
The first proofreading will be conducted by the author. Corrections by the author will be limited to the correction of words and phrases. Further proofreading will be performed by the editorial committee.
The author may ask for reprints in blocks of 10 copies during the proofreading process. The cost will be the responsibility of the author.
Research on human subjects or animals must include a statement of ethical consideration. The ethical standards written below must be fulfilled. The research protocol must be approved by the Ethical Committee of the institution.
- Research on the human body must follow the “Helsinki Declaration”.
- Research on animals must meet the ethical standards of the “Iwate Prefectural University Ethical Provisions for Animal Experiments” or other similar standards.
- Investigative research studies must meet the ethical standards of the “Ethical Guidelines on Epidemiologic Study” or similar standards.
- Research on the human genome and genetic analysis must meet the ethical standards of the “Ethical Guidelines for Human Genome and Genetic Analysis” and “Guidelines for Clinical Research on Gene Therapy” or similar standards.
1)Articles should be submitted through the Iwate Society of Nursing Science web site by attaching the file of article. The submitter also should write ①Name of the first author, ②Membership number, ③Affiliation, ④Postal address including postal code, ⑤E-mail address, ⑥Title of the article, ⑦Category of the article. Submission checklist should be attached.
2)Once the editorial committee has confirmed that the submitted article conforms to the submission rules, the submission procedures are completed and this date is considered the date of receipt. The date when the editorial committee accepts the article for publication, based on the reviewers’ evaluation, is considered the date of acceptance.
3)The author of an article accepted for publication for which a joint research agreement and ethical screening report are necessary must supply those documents to the editorial committee within two weeks of notification of acceptance of the article.
4)The author may request a proof of publication for the article after the date of acceptance.
The costs for publication are free. However, publication costs of color photographs are the responsibility of the author.
(1)Description of the Article
1) The submitted article is to be in Japanese or English, using A4 page settings and written in MS Word.
2) The length of the article must be no longer than the page limits described below. The page count is inclusive of all parts of the article: title, abstract, main text, references, tables, and figures.
- Review Article: 6,500 words
- Original Article: 6,500 words
- Case Report: 4,000 words
- Research Report: 6,500 words
- Brief Report: 2,500 words
- Other articles: The editorial committee will decide on the length of the article according to content.
3)Measurements and measurement symbols should conform to System International (SI) units.
4)An abstract of within 250 words should be attached to articles .
5)Five or fewer keywords should be included in all articles.
6)The article should be as follows
- The article should be presented in the following order title, name of the author, affiliation, abstract, keywords, figures, tables, text, references.
- The text and references should be one-columned, 35 lines in 10 point font and everything else should be in one column.
- The top and bottom margins should be set at 25mm and the left and right margins should be set at 20mm. Margins will be used by the editorial committee to display page numbers, the name, volume and number of the journal and the dates of receipt and acceptance.
- The title should be in 16 point font.
- The typeset for English text should be Times New Roman.
- Insertion of Diagrams:
- Sequential numbers should be added to each figure in the article and e.g. “Fig 1.” and the title of the figure should be centered directly below each figure.
- Sequential numbers should be added to each table in the article and e.g. “Table 1.” and the title of the table should be written directly above the table to the left.
7)Numbers enclosed in circles, roman numerals and similar machine-dependent characters should not be used.
8)If the author is Japanese, the Japanese title of the article, the name of the author in Japanese, the name of the affiliation in Japanese and an abstract in Japanese should be attached.
(2) Description of References
Citations should follow.
1)When citing a text, the author’s name (surname) and the year of publication should be mentioned in brackets in the main text. Furthermore, the font should be the same as that of the main text.
Eg. Iwate (2016) suggested the importance of · · ·.
· · is shown as · · · (Takizawa et al., 2015).
2)The cited literature should all be listed in alphabetical order at the end of the document. If there is more than one text by the same author, they should be arranged in order of the year of publication and distinguished by appending letters after the year of publication, such as 2016a, The citations in the main text should also use the same letter to distinguish the sources.
3)The author’s name should be cited as in the following examples:
- For Japanese literature: for up to three authors, the full names of the authors should be provided. In the case of four or more authors, “, et al.” should be added after the full name of the third author,
- For foreign literature: for up to three authors, the surname should be followed by the initial of the given name. In the case of four or more authors, the surname and initial of the first three authors are provided followed by “, et al.”
4)The format for listing references at the end is as described below:
- For magazines: Author name (year of publication): title, name of the magazine, volume or volume (issue), page
Eg. Yuriko Kanematsu, (2015): Continuous Inquiry into Nursing Care, Journal of Iwate Society of Nursing Science, 9 (1), 24–31.
Kanematsu Y., Fujiwara M., Nozaki T, et al. (2015): Opening of Iwate Prefectural Institute of Health Practitioners in1970－Contributions of Nurses, Public Health Nurses, Dental Hygienist and others－, Journal of Iwate Society of Nursing Science, 10 ( 1), 15–23.
Taro Kendai (2012a): Fall prevention measures for the elderly in Hospital A, Prefectural Magazine, 35, 2–8.
Taro Kendai (2012b): Fall prevention measures for the elderly carried out in association with family members, Prefectural Journal of Nursing, 8, 26–32.
- For books: Author name (year of publication): title, publisher name, place of issue. Or: Author name (year of publication): title of the paper, name of author, title, pages, publisher, place of issue.
Eg. Toku Ishii (2015): Medical Safety: The Nursing Professionals Taking Care of Patients, Medical, Dental and Pharmacological Publishing, Tokyo.
Kazuko, Kikuchi (2014): Essential Nursing Philosophy for On-Site Practice: Evaluation of Nursing Plans, Ishii T., Emori Y., Kawaguchi T., Nursing Philosophy: Exploring and Practicing the Essence of Nursing, 135–139, Gakken Medical Shujunsha, Tokyo.
- For translations: Name of the original author (publication year of original article/name of the translator, publication year of the translation): title of the translation, name of the publisher, place of issue.
Eg. Patricia W. Hickey (1990/Yuriko Kanematsu, Keiko Kazuma 1991): Nursing Process Handbook, Medical Journal, Tokyo.
- For websites: Author name (year of posting): URL [date accessed]
Eg. Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (2014): http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/xxx./index.html [Accessed February 3, 2015]
(1)The copyrights of all articles and content of the journal (including the online version on the web site) are reserved by the society.
(2)Before using diagrams and highly original items published in the journal, users must apply for permission from the editorial committee of the journal. (E-mail applications will not be accepted.)
(3)An application for permission should include:
- The volume, number, pages, year, title of the article, the name of the first author listed and the page number or number of the diagram for which permission is sought.
- The purpose of use.
- The full name, address, telephone and fax number, e-mail address and signature of the applicant.
(4)Diagrams and other items for which permission for use is granted must be stated as a citation from the original article in footnotes or references.
April 30, 2018